2. If you thought Iruvar, Roja and Bombay were Mani Ratnam’s best, Raavan/ Raavanan is going to stun you! Says who? Just about everybody who has worked for the project! “Mani Ratnam has made this film like a penance. Mani Ratnam, Vikram and Aishwarya Rai will definitely get National Awards,” said lyricist Vairamuthu.
3. Mani Ratnam’s Raavanan is also special for its huge star cast: Vikram, Aishwarya Rai, Prithviraj, Karthik, Prabhu, Priyamani, Munna, John Vijay in Tamil and Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai, Vikram, Govinda, Ravikissen, Priyamani, Nikhil Dwivedi in Hindi (Raavan).
4. Most parts of the movie were shot in deep interiors of dense forests. Our hero plays a tribal chief!
5. Shyam Kaushal has choreographed the thrilling climax fight. “The shooting for Raavan began in January 2009 in Kolkata, then Ooty, and the climax was shot on Malsej Ghat, where there’s a scene on bridges 2,000 feet above mountains. Mani loves challenges and likes challenging his actors and technicians too. His quest for perfection puts them through a grueling routine,” he said.
6. For the first time, Vikram simultaneously plays two diametrically different roles in two languages of the same film. Vikram play the role of Dev (Ram) in Hindi and Beera (Raavan) in Tamil.
7. Aishwarya plays the role of Ragini, a spunky classical dance teacher. The first look of the movie shows her dancing gracefully in a song.
8. Interestingly, Aishwarya Rai will dub in her own voice for the Tamil version while Vikram is all set to speak Hindi in Raavan.
9. Another highlight is Prabhu and Karthi, co-stars in the blockbuster Mani Ratnam movie Agni Natchathiram, they team up again for the same director after a long gap.
10. A.R. Rahman’s chart-busters, Vairamuthu’s adorable lyrics, Santhosh Sivan’s marvellous camera work and to top of all, ‘The Mani Ratnam factor’. Well Raavanan is definitely one of the most-anticipated films of the year.